I”M THE NEW WHAT?
So, the Boss walks into your office and says; “Snerdly, you are now the new DER. Congratulations and good luck”. He hands you a thick binder labeled “49 CFR Title 40”, and walks out.
“Wow”, you say; “The new DER”. Immediately you start thinking; ‘What the heck is a DER?’, and ‘Who was the old DER?’, and ‘Why isn’t he still the DER?’
As defined in 49 CFR Part 40, the Designated Employer Representative (DER) is an employee authorized by the employer to take immediate action(s) to remove employees from safety-sensitive duties, or cause employees to be removed from these covered duties, and to make required decisions in the testing and evaluation…and on and on it goes.
The Six Major Rolls of a DER are;
- You are the DOT drug and alcohol testing expert
- You are the Testing Program Manager
- You are the DOT Testing Process Administrator
- You are the Service Agent Director
- You are the DOT ‘Return to Duty’ Enforcer
- You are the Compliance Coordinator.
“GULP!”, you say. “This is a long way from the Mail Room”.
COMPLIANCE ASSOCIATES INC. to the rescue. Let’s partner and get started on your new DER adventure.